I bought a fuel tank for my W109 from the dealer and it arrived overnight
for not much more than a good refurbishment of the original one would have
been.  Their logistics are pretty amazing!  Most stuff comes in a day or
two, depending on how bad I need it.  Stuff from Germany takes about a
week, sometimes more or less.  I recently got a horsehair pad for a W116
back seat from Germany in just a few days.

It probably helps to buy a reasonable amount of stuff, but most dealers
should be willing to work with you if you work with them.  I just email
part numbers over and rarely ask difficult questions.  They return the
favor with fast service and good prices.  I deal with the wholesale parts
department.

For some real oddball stuff for my W109 I buy from the classic center.
They give a bit of discount, but by the time you pay for shipping you're
around list price for most items.  But these guys really know what they're
talking about.

Jaime

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/