My take on really good car for long trips would be an S series benz.

I drove to Colorado and back this past July 4th week.  Covered 1250 miles in 22
hours, all in one sitting.  No sore butt, cold air and other than having to
stay awake, not too tired after the trip.  Got back home to Seattle in 18.79
hours, same route.  This was in the 2002 S430.

The #1 boy got his 92 300SE back in shape, so it is road worthy.  That thing
has ICE cold air.  A major surprise to me in how quickly nipples become glass
cutters in that thing.  Comfortable seats that would be great for long trips as
well.  For a 20 year old car, the passengers must have been tiny chinese dames,
as there is no wear on the leather and seats are pretty close to factory
plumpness and spring.

YMMV, but the benz seems to hold up well if treated relatively well.  Quality
between the w140 and the w220 is noticeable.  Far less oriental cheapness in
the older model.  Both cars came in well under $20k.  Both would be a really
nice #2 condition at sale.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers