OK, given those parameters, go to your nearest VW dealer and test drive a
Passat TDI - you might like it. I don't find the seats quite as comfortable
as a Mercedes seat, but my wife can't tell the difference. Otherwise it
meets all your requirements, with the cost of parts being an unknown (for
me at least).
I actually thought the Passat drove better than the new C class MB when I
was shopping a couple of years ago.
The AC did great today driving around town with a little highway time at
102F.

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Gerry Archer <arche...@embarqmail.com>wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2013 12:52 PM, "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, you convinced me.  What's the
>>> best riding, best seated car for long
>>> trips that can be bought for around
>>> $25K or less?
>>>

>> New?  Ford Fusion ticks all your boxes for comfort, reliability, and good
>> climate control.  Get the four instead of the V-6, it's plenty powerful
>> and
>> easily gets 30mpg on the highway.
>> Alex
>>

> I agree completely since my son has a hybrid Fusion.  Problem is that I'm
> looking for around 40 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg around town.  Hybrid
> Fusions cost about $10K more than I want to spend.  Corollas, which are
> selling around here fairly cheaply, get up to 40 mpg on the highway, but
> I'd
> rather pay a little more and get something that's a little heavier and
> hopefully safer.
> Gerry

OK Don
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin 1775
"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- Benjamin Franklin 1789
2013 F150, 19 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 45 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!