Most of the cockpit photos were spot on, except one really big item - there was no box displaying receipt of messages, go codes, etc. At that time, such was still in somebody's imagination. We received all such messages via voice and copied 'em onto a plastic-covered form with grease pencil. Such electronic box was just getting into the fleet when I retired in late '81. I never used it.

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] buymbparts is dead drunk and rattling

Yes, but were you aware that their depiction of the cockpit and equipment was so spot-on that the USAF was convinced someone had leaked TS material to them?

"In the early 60s, the B-52 was cutting-edge technology. Access to it was a matter of national security. The Pentagon refused to lend any support to the film after they read the script. Set designers reconstructed the B-52 bomber's cockpit from a single photograph that appeared in a British flying magazine. When some American Air Force personnel were invited to view the movie's B52 cockpit, they said it was a perfect copy.Stanley Kubrick feared that Ken Adam's production design team had used illegal methods and could be investigated by the FBI."

Dan