let me ask you a question, as a veteran and apparently one of vietnam.
prisoners at the hanoi hilton all agreed that a man could be made to sign
or so anything as a result of torture and every man is eventually broken.
there was, however, a dispute as to how to treat this recognition.  on the
one side, stockdale insisted that even though you knew you were going to be
broken, you must resist for as long as you possibly could.  kittinger
argued that as resistance is futile, save yourself the waste of energy and
physical and mental damage from the torture and sign whatever they wanted
you to sign right away.  as stockdale was the senior officer (although if
there was recognition of coolness points, kittinger would certainly have
been head man), his way became policy

i personally agree strongly with kittinger on this and would like to know
what your view is regarding which method is correct