AAAh. An achilles heel revealed. This wasn't on the MBZ website! (ducking)

Brian

From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Early engine replacement - was Columbus CL 240D
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:58:00 -0500

Terry Geiger wrote:
> I think one thing that may cause an early engine replacement is the exposed > oil pan on a 123. I looked at a 240D last year and the claim was it had a > new engine at 150k because the previous owner ran over something in the road
> and punctured the oil pan.

That is a not uncommon failure with Mercedes diesels
(115/123/124/126/201 diesels at least) if the pan hits a curb, speed
bump, railroad tracks or the like. Mercedes sells a steel skid plate
that provides considerable protection. Despite many insurance companies
NOT volunteering that they cover such collisions, they ARE covered by
collision insurance in MOST states. A neighbor had the engine in his 76
300D replaced in the late '70s (he had to appeal to the PA Insurance
Commission who ruled in his favor) and Richard Easley (from that OTHER
list) had the engine in his 300SDL covered 6-7 years ago. I've heard of
several others being covered.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi