  Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:23:38 -0800
From: "Tim C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Bike rider, loud pipes
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Actually, loud pipes let cars (mostly driven by blithering idiots who
fail
to see anything smaller than a Suburban) know you're there.  A friend
had an
obnoxiously loud bike (he bought it that way, wasn't trying to say
"look at
me") could hear him for about 3/4 of a mile away - he stated that cars
stayed away from him, even moving to the other side of their lane as he
passed.  I know if I rode a bike, I'd want that kind of situation - not
being seen usually has disastrous results when you don't have a frame
around
you.