Not entirely true. Might I recommend:

1) Spend a day in urban California traffic on a bike with a silent,
stock exhaust

2) Spend another day in CA traffic on the same bike, but with performance pipe

3) Report back.

For the record, I've done this - over several years, SAME bike, same
town, swapping back & forth between pipes (stock exhaust and bolt-on
Yoshimura RS-3 pipe). People *do* hear you even if you're behind them,
at freeway speeds. No, not everyone, but some is better than none
before they whip over into your lane without looking!

Remember - I am NOT talking about a Harley with no mufflers here! I
hate those too! And I agree 1000% on the complete lack of driver
training in the USA. But that's a whole 'nuther rant which I'd rather
not get started on.

And while there's no helmet law here in Spudland, I don't go out of
the driveway without my armored Dainese leather suit, boots, gloves,
and helmet. I prefer my skin where it is, not in a wire brush in
Olga's hands at the hospital...

:)

-dm