Not as much fun, but all he has lost is the brake boost and engine shutoff. He can drive it home, then deal with it. I did that several times with 190D/200D cars. If it is A/t, it will shift harder, as it will lose the shift softening shushiness of the vacuum modulator.

Hi all,
I have a friend off of I-84 just south of the mass pike who broke down in
his 77 300D.  Sounds like a vacuum pump failure... Engine runs fine, but
brakes are hard and there are no vacuum functions working.

Anyone have a shop in the area to recommend?

He needs to get back to NJ soon, but repair might be a better option than a
tow and local repair.

Thanks,

Jaime