Sure hope you didn't run into any Hodags or Igarots, passing so close to
Rhinelander...

You mention some places I haven't been since my youth, I'm sure the roads are
better now.

Once in the '70s, we set out for summer vacation, probably going to drive from
Ogema WI to northern MN to visit grandparents.  My father wanted to drive his
really nice Adenauer.  We got a few miles down Highway 86, and hit some nasty
road construction; the pavement was gone and all traffic was squeezed onto
rough loose gravel.  My dad listened to that gravel beating the underside of
the car for about 5 seconds, stopped and did a U-turn, got in a cursing match
with the road crew for driving in their road bed during the turn, and went
straight back home.  We unpacked the Benz and loaded into some beater American
iron, and took that instead.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC