Thanks Curley!!

On 12/26/2016 10:21 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
Basics:

0. put the charger on the battery to recharge/maintain it during a lot of cranking.

1. Crack the fuel line(s) then crank to make sure you have fuel delivery. About 720ยบ degrees rotation on the crank should be enough. If you need to bleed the system, more cranking is needed.

2. If fuel is being delivered to the nozzles, Then proceed to electrical checks

3. Key on to glow position, check for 12V at each GP. Be careful not to short the probe to ground. You may need a couple of glow cycles to complete this. A helper to turn the key to glow/off makes it easier.

4. Pull off the cover from the GP relay, pull the plug to the GPs. If 0V on step 3, turn key go to glow and check for 12V on the relay at the terminals for the GP wires. If 0V, replace fuses first, if present. Otherwise, replace GP relay. (a further test is possible to make sure the key is delivering juice to the relay to turn on the relay. Consult wiring diagram for this info) If a fuse is present, it is generally a fuse problem. if a new fuse does not fix it, and GP, GP wires are good, it is almost always a bad relay.

5. If all used relay pins are delivering 12V to the wiring harness to the GPs, turn the multimeter to the lowest ohm reading you have. check meter for zero. If you can't get 0, offet your reading by the static amount. Check the used sockets in the plug on the GP harness between one socket and ground. Book value is 1.4 ohms. 0 ohms is a open plug, replace it. over 1.7 ohms os a bad plug, replace it, if you are sure your meter is reading correctly. It takes a good meter to read 1.4 ohms. with a cheap ($10 HF) meter it is 0 or infinity, so if you get something near 0 ohms, you assume it is good; infinity indicates it is an open circuit, replace the plug. GPs usually fail open. A GP with say 2.4 ohms reading is on its way out and needs to be replaced. 2.4 is about as high as I have seen. I have seen meters that consistently read 1.7 on good or new GPs, so you have to learn your meter's idiosyncrasies, unless you have a very expensive ($500+) meter.

You guys edit this to make this an all purpose troubleshooting formula for non start or slow start Diesels.
Larry Turner via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 26, 2016 at 8:42 AM
No. i probably didn't explain the chronology very well.

1,. Tried to start it - had to crank excessively to get it to finally start - .

2. After excessive cranking it started running very rough - exactly like it would be when 1 or 2 GPs go dead.. (After your question about the dash light I recalled it being illuminated while the car was running.)

3. During this start up episode I noticed lots of white smoke from the exhaust pipe.

4 Since I had 5 new GPs on the shelf I jumped in to R&Ring the GP probably too quickly.

5 After replacing the GPs I tried to start it and it just cranked over. Since I had removed the fuel lines to get access to the GPs, I failed to bleed them after re-installation.

6 My next step will be to bleed the air from the fuel lines then try to start it once more.

7. I will do the electrical tests suggested by Mitch to confirm my relay has died. BTW, I checked the in line fuse just in case only to find it perfect. I think there's a fuse across the bottom of the relay but doubt it has gone bad.