Not necessarily the neutral safety switch. There are two nylon bushings on
which the shift lever pivots. If these have are no longer correctly seated,
it will cause the same problem. I have the new bushings, but haven't gotten
around to replacing them -- waiting for spring weather.

On my 240D, simply holding the lever full right in park allows the car to
start when things get cranky. I've found that putting "lift" pressure in the
shifter accomplishes the same thing. And of course, there is always Neutral.

--
1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed

http://www.airamericaradio.com/listen