Ditto. They are simple machines, minimal electronics, yet not
sloppy...injection parts with micron toleraces that last FOREVER. After
reading about the IP and realizing mine has been going for 211,000 with  not a
single problem - well, that just blows my mind. Diesel engines  are beautiful
in their simplicity AND tight tolerances.

  Then, enter Rudolf Diesel - he was an incredible visionary not only in
engineering but in the social impact of his engine. I am having the  first
chapter of his book "Solidarismus" (on social questions)  translated from
German. HE is a fascinating man.

  Then my Germanophilia kicks in. I do believe that there is something  about
Germans, that make them excellent engineers. My boy-hood hero was  Werner von
Braun, chief designer of the Saturn V rocket, which I  believe to this day is
the most amazing engineering feat of all times,  exp. considering the types of
computers they had to work with at that  time. I love German things - pens,
watches, cigarettes, guns, cars, my  wife (mädchen name ist Übersetzig) and I
my self am 1/2 German (mothers  side). There is probably no other thing besides
an MB that better  represents to the world the excellence of German engineering
AND all  the German virtues that contribute to making Germans great engineers.
My car represents to me an entire ethos, my personal heritage and the
greatness of the German people who have suffered so much this century  yet
managed to rebuild thier country in 15 years and the MB is a symbol  of the
greatness of such a nation.

  Then the driving experience, ms.300D expressed that perfectly. I am now
disappointed that I only live 6 blocks from work - that old commute was  a
wonderful time for me. On Saturday night, I just took the 300TD out  for a
drive. It was awesome (also brought my personal top speed up to  112 mph until
someone pulled in fron of me goinmg about 60.. 112 to 60  is NOT fun...but it
was done as straight as an arrow).

  Not to sound like a Nazi, but that is why Hitler loved MB's. He wanted  the
VW for the people - something they could afford but his attraction  to MB's was
not because they were expensive (he, unlike Goering,  shunned expenive
ostentatious things for himself personally) but  becuase they expressed, in his
mind, the best car the "master race"  could produce. Well, I don't believe in
master races, but he was right  in choosing MB! (to me a master race is going
112 in a 65 mph zone)! HA!

  I just received "Enduring Passion: The Story of the Mercedes Benz  Brand" -
you'll find it in the business section NOT the car section. It  is a book about
branding and explores why people are fanatical about  MB's - lots of pics, lots
of history - VERY nice book. Good look inside  the company and how the comapny
ran by engineers sold cars vs the new  MB (which is no longer run by engineers
in the same way) simply sell  sars to sell them. I've heard the phrase
"Mercedes, the love that never  dies" I believe it - this book tries to figure
out how MB did that -  MORE OR LESS WITHOUT TRYING (until mid 90's when
marketing took  precidence over engineering)

  Lastly, THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO. OK, If I hit the lottery,  I
might by an SLR-McLaren - maybe not. But short of that, I'm more than  happy to
stick by my 300SD, which I fully believe will be the last car  I ever buy for
myself. I WILL get that 5th 1,000,000 mile badge before  I die.

  OK, enough for now, I'll be surprised if anyone has read this far!

  Chris

OK Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I like the total "mechanicalness" of the
Diesels. The clatta - clatta
is reassuring - you KNOW something is happening under the hood. I do
miss that aspect of the 603 and 602 engines - too quiet. I like
knowing that you can pull the battery out and still drive. I like
having many fuel options, whether I exercise them or not.
I love the mechanical engineering in these cars. The complex ACC
systems are great when working properly, can be a real pain when not.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1992 Volkswagen Golf, diesel, 185K km, "Nanook"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 211K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

Yahoo! Mail