Donald Snook wrote:
For the last two weeks my right front headlight has had a poltergeist.
Sometimes when I turn on the headlights, the little warning light comes
on telling me that a light is out.  When I look at the headlight it is
noticeably dimmer than the other.   HOWEVER,  just as often, the
headlights are fine and the little warning light does not come on.  Do I
have a bulb problem or short in the wiring?   Also, when the headlight
is dim and the warning light is on I can put the brights on and the
warning light goes away (I don't think this indicates anything, I think
this is what sis supposed to happen). Any thoughts?

The connector plugs that go from the main wiring harness to the light fixture and the plug from the light fixture to the lamp will often corrode (as you look inside the contacts they usually appear green or white if corroded). Cleaning with a good contact cleaner (like Caig DeOxit or D-5) will often correct the problem, but occasionally the connectors will need to be replaced. A bad chassis (somewhere under the headlight fixture) ground CAN cause a similar problem.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi