Sounds like when I took a full set of drawings I drew up and the BOM to my town
planner’s office in WI when I built my (very large) deck and attached gazebo.
They laughed at me and said that they had people come in with sketches on the
backs of envelopes that they approved permits for.

They did come out and inspect two times during the construction process:  Once
to check that the holes for the piers were below the frost line and that one
contained a baby skunk, the other when it was complete.  When the city
inspector came out for the final inspection, he just walked out on the deck,
jumped up and down a couple of times and said, “This will do.”

-D