Jim Cathey via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> Nothing is bubbling up by itself.  You are _pumping_ the brakes, which
> is pumping fluid down from the reservoir, through the brake cylinders,
> and back up (to the reservoir) by way of the clutch cylinders.  Any
> air bubbles (to the top) of the reservoir, but _only_ as it circulates
> there by pumping action.  Basically gravity is tapping off the air in
> the circuit, at the reservoir, leaving only liquid to circulate around
> again.

Ah, that makes sense. Somehow I was imagining pressure on all the hard
lines but of course pumping the brakes is not going to pressurize the
clutch circuit.

I think I'd  still rather use a pressure bleeder. I've ruined more than
one master cylinder trying to bleed brakes, and it always seems to take
a few attempts to get *all* the air out. With a pressure bleeder it's
all done in a couple of minutes and you don't need an assistant.

Allan