Got to ride in a S550 at our local mbca event on the weekend, my friend remarked it rides *almost* as nice as my 500SEL.

However FYI access to the engine in the Smart is done by lifting up the rear sound carpet and unlatching a cover plate. Diesel Engine is about the size of a large microwave. Oil is sucked out, not sure about access to a drain plug on that engine. If you don't latch the cover plate properly why then it sounds/ vibrates much more like a 617 in case one is having withdrawal pains.

We also took a Smart for a spin, I've been in one before, but had to remark that driving it about downtown showed it was quite peppy and the auto-manual made it fairly responsive and fun to drive, if say you were 18. Still here in Victoria BC I think there is a large
percentage of seniors who own them.

That and a B class where we found out everything, engine, battery, tank etc sits down level with the axle in a sled a good foot thick underneath the passenger's feet. Very little is above that beyond in really long intake pipe. This makes it very stable with a low center of gravity and makes the passengers sit much higher than expect and less likely to have that ford expedition bumper intrude into the cabin space proper.


On 4-May-06, at 6:40 PM, R A Bennell wrote:


What if I really like my old Benz and don't really want a new one? Am I being pretentious? I was in the showroom at the local dealer on Saturday (had to go to pick up a couple of new VIN cut keys for my car). They had a nice new C280 for $46K Cdn. Nice but a bit small. There was an S550 but I didn't even look closely because it is obviously way beyond my range. My wife sat in a couple of smart cars. She is attracted to them. I am not - jsut too small for my taste. They are diesel and that is the only diesel we can get in Canada except for a more expensive E class I think. Did you know that a smart has no hood over the motor. Everything is tucked underneath between the rear wheels. No way to access it from above. Openn the back hatch and there is a carpeted floor but no hatch opens over the engine. Didn't ask how you check the oil. I guess changing oil is easier if you have access to a hoist.

Randy B

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Hendrik Riessen
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:25 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The Wave


I found when I put clear turn indicator lenses on my 123 I got a few waves from other MB "enthusiasts" also with clear indicators. Sort of says I love my MB and have gone to the trouble of "moding", rather than I am a wanna be
snob who can't afford a modern Benz.

Hendrik
without clear indicators thanks to the missus



_______________________________________
http://www.striplin.net
For new parts see official list sponsor: http://www.buymbparts.com/
For used parts email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe or change delivery options go to:
http://striplin.net/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_striplin.net

John
1983 300TDt  364k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  166k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 174k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)



Reply via email to