From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of archer
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 12:05 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Feeling blue over trying to be green

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Curt Raymond  wrote:
>>  Water? You water yours?
>>  Mine gets watered (and you can tell) where I drag the hose out to water
the garden...
>>  If I get around to installing drip irrigation this year even that will
stop.

> Ditto.  Jim and I are both in the Pacific NW; he's on the dry side of
> the mountains, so I guess he has an excuse, but I'm on the wet side
> where the grass gets naturally watered from September through May but
> has to fend for itself the rest of the time.  It turns brown, but
> comes back from dormancy just fine.  (The only problem is if you live
> somewhere with neighborhood association bylaws, gated community
> covenants, or some such that forbid any vegetation other than green
> lawn year-round.)
> Nevertheless, my long-term plan is less grass, more edible permaculture.
> Alex Chamberlain
____________________________________
Here are a number of ground covers suggested as substitutes for grass.
Anyone had experience with any of them?  I'd plant a vegetable garden in the
front yard but this restricted subdivision, which is fairly reasonable,
wouldn't go for that.
Thanks,
Gerry
Low-growing ground covers
Many of these ground huggers can withstand light foot traffic. In other
words, you can walk on them periodically, and they're ideal for planting
around stepping stones or in the narrow planting strip between the sidewalk
and street. All the following plants are evergreen, meaning they have leaves
all year. (Deciduous plants lose their leaves in the fall.)

  a.. Wooly yarrow (Achillea tomentosa): This tough, hardy ground cover
reaches to about 6 to 9 inches high and can take foot traffic. In the
summer, yellow flowers complement the ferny, gray-green foliage. The leaves
are also aromatic, a fragrant bonus when you walk on it (that is, if you
like the smell).
  a.. Carpet bugle (Ajuga reptans): Carpet bugle grows 2 to 6 inches high
with handsome, deep green or purplish leaves. This hardy plant sports blue
flowers that grow on spikes in spring and early summer.
  a.. Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile): This plant's fine-textured, aromatic
foliage reaches about 6 inches high. Chamomile has yellow flowers (herbal
tea is made from the dried flowers) and can withstand light traffic. The
ground cover is hardy to about 0 degrees F.
  a.. English ivy (Hedera helix): This widely adapted, sprawling foliage
plant sometimes has variegated leaves. Generally, this hardy plant grows 12
to 18 inches high and can climb.
  a.. Aaron's Beard, St. John's Wort (Hypericum calycinum): Sunny yellow
flowers highlight this hardy plant, which grows 12 inches high.
  a.. Iceplant (Lampranthus):This large group of low-growing succulents has
bright flowers. Most of these drought-tolerant plants are not very hardy and
are best adapted to mild-winter climates.
  a.. Mondo grass or lily turf (Liriope or Ophiopogon): Grassy leaves and
summer flowers identify these two similar, hardy plants. They also thrive in
shade.
  a.. Japanese spurge (Pachysandra terminalis): This attractive foliage
plant is ideal for shady, moist situations. Japanese spurge grows to about
10 inches high and is hardy.
  a.. Spring cinquefoil (Potentilla tabernaemontana): Spring cinquefoil has
neatly lobed leaves and yellow flowers and grows 3 to 6 inches high. This
hardy plant can withstand foot traffic.
  a.. Creeping thyme (Thymus praecox): A spreading herb with aromatic
foliage and white to pink flowers, this plant grows 3 to 6 inches high.
Creeping thyme is hardy and can withstand traffic.
  a.. Dwarf periwinkle (Vinca minor): This ground cover displays dark green
leaves and violet blue flowers. Growing 6 to 12 inches high, dwarf
periwinkles thrive in shade and are hardy.
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/Choose-Ground-Covers-as-a-Law
n-Alternative.id-2951.html
Checked by AVG.
6:01 AM