This was in the NYTimes the other day, I forgot to save a link but you
can find it.

--R

May 1, 2008
In the Garden

  Moss Makes a Lush, No-Care Lawn

By JANCEE DUNN

Solebury, Pa.

DAVID BENNER hasn't watered his lawn since the Kennedy administration.
He hasn't mowed it, either. And it's doing just fine. On a late-April
afternoon, the two-acre property surrounding his ranch house in Bucks
County was a carpet of green, uniformly lush and velvety under a canopy
of shade trees.

Mr. Benner, 78, a retired professor of ornamental horticulture, is also
a longtime practitioner and advocate of what he calls "the moss
approach" to lawn maintenance. "Every time I give a lecture, I go into
this spiel: get rid of your grass, and grow moss," he said. "And now
it's finally gaining momentum."

For more than a century, moss has been anathema to homeowners and
gardeners. Type "moss" and "lawn" on an Internet search engine and
you'll find more ways to kill it than create it.

MORE