On Friday 30 August 2002 04:22, Sisyphus wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently started getting error 29 with Windows, PrimeNet version 21, so
> I've upgraded to version 22.8.
> Now I get error 2250 - so we're definitely making progress

2250 is a problem with the server being offline for some reason.

> :-)
>
> 'prime.ini' contains 'UseHTTP=1'. And I've tried the stuff relating to
> proxies/firewalls mentioned in the faq (though this was not an issue with
> version 21). Still can't get a connection.
>
> Where to, now ?

Hmm. Surely "UseHTTP" is now obsolete since there hasn't been RPC support for
some time?

Are we losing users? Well, if users can't connect to the server, they're
going to be discouraged. Ditto anyone still using Windows 95 - Prime95 v22.3+
has problems since George apparently upgraded his development kit.

Another good reason for changing to linux?

Anyone with this problem could also try Prime95 v22.1, which _does_ appear to
work on Win 95 _and_ hasn't had the connection problems others have been
reporting (though there have been occasions this week - at least 12 hours on
one occasion - when the server was broken).

I find all this a bit hard to understand (and harder to wrestle with when I'm
hopelessly overloaded with "work" - as usual at this time of year) since web
comms on TCP port 80 is pretty standard these days; even firewall tunnelling
is pretty much a "given". When it stopped working, which end was broken so
far as standards compliance is concerned?