On Friday 30 August 2002 21:29, you wrote:

> Well,  Win95 is getting increasingly uncommon (and for good reasons,
> stability and support for USB come to mind).

Well - there are still a lot of older systems around which run Win 95 quite
happily (some of them are even reasonably stable!) but which it isn't worth
paying M$ "upgrade tax" on. Some simply don't have the resources to run Win
XP, and some of the owners can't be persuaded to switch to linux (perhaps
because they're corporately owned).

Suggesting to people that their contribution isn't welcome because they're
operating somewhere close to the trailing edge is another good way of
discouraging participants.

As for USB - I'm responsible for twenty-odd systems with hardware USB ports;
only two of them have ever had USB peripherals connected. I may be unusual in
this respect, but I don't think USB support is absolutely essential. In any
case, later OEM versions of Win 95 contain the same USB support as Win 98.

Yes, it is neat to be able to connect a printer to two systems simultaneously
using both the parallel and USB ports!