Adam Thompson <athom...@athompso.net> writes:

> On 14-12-07 06:37 AM, Martin Schröder wrote:
>> Is OpenBSD actually a registered trademark? The USPTO doesn't list it.
>> FreeBSD is, though.
> The answer appears to be "no", as CIPO doesn't list it, either.
> My guess is that keeping the lights on (literally) was a higher priority
> than paying the annual registration fee.

> I'm reasonably confident that if someone were to step up to not only
> fund the trademark application (looks like >$500/yr /in perpetuity/  in
> IPO fees alone???), but find a trademark agent willing to do the work
> /pro bono/, and spend the time filling out the paperwork, etc. etc.,
> etc. then it could probably happen fairly rapidly.
> I believe it would have to be done through the Canadian office
> (http://cipo.gc.ca/) since both Theo and the Foundation are based in Canada.
> AFAIK Canada does not yet comply with the Madrid Protocol, the Nice
> Agreement or the Singapore Treaty, so that registration would only be
> good in Canada.  An international application would probably be best
> done through the USPTO, which incurs similar costs.

For the record, I get enough use out of OpenBSD that in case Mr. De
Raadt (or some other appropriate person from the OpenBSD Foundation)
desires me to do so, I am happy to research and shepherd the OpenBSD
trademark in the US; although I am not currently familiar with USPTO
regulations/procedures in general, I have considerable experience
dealing with bureaucracy--formerly, I was a member of the US Army and I
worked for around five years as an employee of a state government, and
was specifically tasked in both instances with interpreting (and in some
cases, writing) bureaucratic policy.  (I work for a private company now,
and am much, MUCH happier.)

I am not, however, willing to pay the required fees out of my own
account, without reimbursement.  I have five children who must, in fact,
be fed, it turns out.

Carson