On 08/12/14 00:36, Bryan Steele wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 07:35:03PM +1100, Riley Baird wrote:
>> I agree entirely. For this reason, I think it would be best to keep
>> system internals (e.g. uname, includes, etc.) using the name OpenBSD
>> with only the main user-visible parts changed to a new name.
>>
>> As for why I want to create the distro, I think that OpenBSD has
>> excellent security, and I would like to create a version without the
>> binary-only microcode included.
>
> This is silly, all the firmware in /etc/firmware allows free
> distribution and what isn't is installed via fw_update(1). You
> can easily pkg_delete what you don't like.

Why does free distribution matter?

> If you're worried about scary evil "Microcode", then you probably
> shouldn't run a modern Intel or AMD machine, not including all the
> firmware on flash or ROM, your BIOS likely loaded CPU microcode that
> is almost entirely undocumented magic.

There are efforts to create a free BIOS for Intel and AMD machines:
http://www.coreboot.org/

This still doesn't solve the CPU microcode problem, but when open
hardware comes, and I need to buy a new computer, I'll be buying the
open hardware CPU. Just because we don't have perfection now, it doesn't
mean we shouldn't try to get closer to it.