On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 11:47:39PM -0800, Sean Kamath wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Can someone provide me a pointer to how to do this?
>
> I have a bunch of Alix 2d13 boxes.  With 6.6, I’ve found I need more swap
> than the default layout on a 2G compact flash drive has.  So, I got some 1G
> USB thumb drives, and want to use JUST those for swap.  Despite different
> attempts (setting the mount_opts to xx, setting mount_opts to “priority=1”),
> I can’t seem to prevent the swap on the boot disk being added with priority =
> 0.
>
> Can I do anything to turn it off or change the priority, short of changing
> the filesystem type?

If I recall correctly, the swap on the boot disk is directly added by the
kernel, and not by rc(8). It is why priority in fstab(5) is ignored.

But you could change the priority of an already added swap with swapctl(8):

# swapctl -c -p 1 myduid.b

And you could automatically run it at boot-time by adding the command line in
/etc/rc.local file, which is sourced by rc(8).

# echo 'swapctl -c -p 1 myduid.b' >> /etc/rc.local

This way, at boot time:
- kernel adds the boot disk swap with priority 0
- rc(8) adds the second swap with priority 0 (as configured in fstab(5))
- rc(8) via rc.local changes the boot disk swap with priority 1
- system will run with two swaps:
  - second swap, priority 0, so used first
  - boot disk swap, priority 1, used if second swap is full or by kernel for
dumping kernel core

I hope it helps.
--
Sebastien Marie