Sean Kamath <kam...@moltingpenguin.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 21, 2019, at 09:55, Kenneth Gober <kgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The need for more swap may be related to kernel relinking -- it might be an
> > interesting experiment to see if your existing swap space is enough with
> > kernel relinking disabled.
>
> Yes, precisely.
>
> I did add some larger CF cards on machines that needed more space.  I just
> happened to have a bunch of 1g thumb drives and figured I’d spare the CF all
> the writes and use the thumbdrive.
>
> I was just hoping to avoid removing the default swap device so that in the
> even the thumb drive died or whatever that the machine would still boot
> (ideally, just setting the priority to 1 instead of 0 would do what I want).
>
> But, it sounds like the answer is delete/change the partition or live with
> it.  I’ll live with it, since I don’t want to disable kernel relinking.

Sigh.

relinking was added because risks have moved on, and smaller machines
are less relevant.

my first programming was on vic-20's.  i wrote in basic.  i ran out
of space.  then i wrote video games in a mix of asm and basic.  then
i ran out of space, and stored stuff in the unused nibbles of colour
table.  the lesson is eventually we need more, because we want to do
more.

we are now many decades later than the vic20, and arguably 2 decades
after the best years of the alix.

as a result, solutions using more resources to create benefits get
added.  wait until you see the next thing i'm interested in.  modern
machines will barely notice it, but alix's will quake.