On 11/24/19 9:35 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2019-11-22, gwes <g...@oat.com> wrote:
First, why is your workload causing swapping? That hasn't been
a good idea since the beginning of computing.
Even if the main workload is OK, relinking the kernel (reorder_kernel)
causes swapping on smaller-memory systems.
Been there in 1980 on a KA-10. We fixed the linker to
do multiple passes so it never had to have all the inputs
in core at the same time. Not gonna happen to gnu ld.

Just for giggles I split the link into 4 partials with -r
then linked the partials with the low core.

Reduced RSS from over 200M to about 80M.
The output text size is identical.
Unfortunately some bss allocation changed so I can't
say the output is identical.

That could be tracked down if there were any interest.

Observation: ulimit -d 90000 didn't change behavior even
when dsize was well over 100. Or am I assuming wrong things?
I've never seen an Alix so this may be impossible but
why don't you install a larger boot drive?
With how they're often used, it's usually easier to replace the whole
machine. Maybe also cheaper, if they can be replaced by mailing a new
machine rather than having to visit a remote site (swapping the CF card
requires removing the system board from the case, not just opening the
case).

Adding swap on USB is one way to eke out another release or two's use
from the machine that can be done fairly easily without a visit..
All very reasonable when the machine is in someone else's place.
I'm thinking ahead about my little Edgerouter... will I have to
replace that for 6.8? Will i386 die [well, it should have decades ago]

Geoff Steckel