> What happened "late March"? Did you reboot the system or did smtpd crash?

I think I rebooted after applying these patches:

 015: SECURITY FIX: March 22, 2019   All architectures
A state in pf could pass ICMP packets to a destination IP address that did not
match the state.
A source code patch exists which remedies this problem.

016: SECURITY FIX: March 27, 2019   amd64 and i386
GDT and IDT limits were improperly restored during VMM context switches.
A source code patch exists which remedies this problem.

> I'm confused. The action line is commented out. Plus the explicit
> mention of port 25 while the logs show port 587.
> Can't you just post the full /etc/mail/smtpd.conf?

> Ok, my bad. The second diff is more current. The point about the port
> number still stands, though. And "user username" there is a syntax error.

For the server I am trying to connect, I was told to use 587 if 25 didn't work,
so I've been trying both. And your points about the comment and syntax error are
correct. I really have no idea what the config was that was working.

Here is the smtpd.conf now:

local# cat smtpd.conf

#       $OpenBSD: smtpd.conf,v 1.11 2018/06/04 21:10:58 jmc Exp $

# This is the smtpd server system-wide configuration file.
# See smtpd.conf(5) for more information.

table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases
table secrets file:/etc/mail/secrets

# To accept external mail, replace with: listen on all
#
listen on lo0

action "local" mbox alias <aliases>
action "relay" relay host smtp+tls://my_re...@smtphm.example0.co.jp auth
<secrets>

# match from any for domain "example.org" action "local"
match for local action "local"
match for any action "relay"