Hi,

I'd like to help you, but I'm late to the thread and some parts were deleted by me by accident.

I think we may need to clear up some things first:

1.  When you attempt to relay through Bell's smtp relay are you sending mail as y...@bell.ca or

any of the domains that falls under bell's domains?  Perhaps they implemented a block that

prevents you@home.local, or better even y...@anythingotherthanbell.ca.  What I'm trying to guess at is that bell refuses to relay for anything other than its domains.

2.  Use port 587, check connection with 'openssl  s_client -connect host:587 -starttls smtp'

3. Use section D.1 of RFC 5321 to help you write a test mail, use RFC 4954 to help you construct a

needed authentication, section 4.1 has an example.  Steps are a) connect b) ehlo c) auth d) mail from

e) rcpt to f) data g) quit

4. once you have achieved sending a test mail through the bell relay reflect what you did into your config.   Try sending as root@home.local and see it fail or not fail, try sending as y...@bell.ca and see it fail or not fail.  Know the capabilities (protocol and behaviour) of the bell relay.

I hope that helps in any way.  Also just 535 doesn't tell me anything when I checked it up in RFC 5321 other than that it's a permanent failure.  Was there an error string appended to this code?

Regards,

-peter