Hello Peter,

> 1.  When you attempt to relay through Bell's smtp relay are you sending
> mail as y...@bell.ca or
>
> any of the domains that falls under bell's domains?  Perhaps they
> implemented a block that
>
> prevents you@home.local, or better even y...@anythingotherthanbell.ca.
> What I'm trying to guess at is that bell refuses to relay for anything
> other than its domains.

When it was working the sender was y...@local.home.org

After it stopped working I made a /etc/mail/mailname file (which I've since
removed) with sympatico.ca and tried sending as different senders but no luck. I
tried different accounts and changing the passwords, still nothing.

> 2.  Use port 587, check connection with 'openssl  s_client -connect
> host:587 -starttls smtp'

I tried that and previously "openssl s_client -debug -starttls smtp -crlf
-connect host:25", and after the certificate I get:

---
250 STARTTLS
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
BASE64USERNAME
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
BASE64PASSWORD
535 Authentication failed

> 3. Use section D.1 of RFC 5321 to help you write a test mail, use RFC
> 4954 to help you construct a
>
> needed authentication, section 4.1 has an example.  Steps are a) connect
> b) ehlo c) auth d) mail from
>
> e) rcpt to f) data g) quit
>
> 4. once you have achieved sending a test mail through the bell relay
> reflect what you did into your config.   Try sending as root@home.local
> and see it fail or not fail, try sending as y...@bell.ca and see it fail
> or not fail.  Know the capabilities (protocol and behaviour) of the bell
> relay.

 Going off this: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954#section-4.1

   S: 220-smtp.example.com ESMTP Server
   C: EHLO client.example.com
   S: 250-smtp.example.com Hello client.example.com
   S: 250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5
   S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
   S: 250 STARTTLS
   C: STARTTLS

I get:

250 STARTTLS
EHLO
250-mtlspm02.bell.net
250-HELP
250-XREMOTEQUEUE
250-ETRN
250-CHUNKING
250-BINARYMIME
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 36700160
STARTTLS
502 You are not authorized to use SSL

> I hope that helps in any way.  Also just 535 doesn't tell me anything
> when I checked it up in RFC 5321 other than that it's a permanent
> failure.  Was there an error string appended to this code?

This is the line from smtpd -dv that had the error:

c41771ec2113e5d0 mta error reason=AUTH rejected: 535 Authentication failed

Thanks for the ideas, hopefully this will get sorted soon