while I will admit I thought the movie was atrocious when I saw it in the theatres, I have the dvd and have watched it a few times

it is what I call "an entertaining movie"

however it was filled with so much claptrap I couldn't enjoy it when I first saw it. you really have to leave your previous knowledge of the book and the 1953 movie behind because this film has almost nothing to do with those.

there are also some things that were truly ridiculous
for instance, the machines buried for a million years underground - specifically underneath the cities - and no one knew they were there? Not even from underground digs for the subway, utilities, deep foundations for buildings etc. It was a laughable concoction as was the aliens jet beamed into the machines through the ground with no particular rupture to the ground.

Tim Robbins' role was ridiculous and the basic premise of the film: gotta get to Boston to your mother where miraculously there is no damage from the machines.. Oh c'mon Spielberg.. couldn't you get a better screenplay than that???

on a scale of 10 I rated the movie a 5 when I first saw it.. I still rate it a 5. However I'm certain that those under 35 who have never read the book or seen the 1953 movie (which is also a concoction compared to the book) would rate it a 9..

there's the difference in generational viewing for ya!!

Rich