Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 16:32:18 -0500
From: movieartaus...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] HA shipping costs
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Michael, et al:
I think that people in general still think that shipping is cheap; it isn’t.
Kirby
On Jul 8, 2015, at 4:24 PM, Michael Greenwood <newswan...@hotmail.com>
wrote:Hello

I'm writing because I've recently had an issue and it's something that's
happened before so I thought I'd air it out and this shouldn't be read as
Heritage bashing or anything too mean.

I'm in Canada and the last five years has seen a tremendous jump in
International shipping and especially from the US.  I also collect records so I
was very used to being able to estimate shipping for most standard orders of
both forms of posters (rolled/flat) and records until the $ starting getting
nuts.

My first problem came when I found out that Heritage would no longer hold items
beyond a maximum of three invoices.  This was never how it had been for all the
time I was buying there and had become used to and there was no warning of this
and, at the time, I had amassed a good collection of stuff I wanted to ship as
I always had...in one bulk go.  It saves me a lot of money that I can continue
to spend on paper rather than stamps.  I started getting a bunch of shipping
invoices as my stuff was filing out of Dallas three invoices at a time.  It was
going to cost me around $500 to ship all my paper so I freaked out and called
them to stop.  I had bought many posters that were cheap simply due to the fact
that I knew (or thought I did) that they would be shipped along with the cream
of the crop at little extra charge but now that the rules had changed, I'd have
to rethink those buys and I was considering re-consigning them rather than ship
them as it was way too expensive to consider.  Thankfully Grey got involved and
helped iron some stuff out and gave me a bit of an extra break in invoice
shipping when I explained my predicament...I don't hold him responsible,
naturally.  It seems that what worked fine before no longer does and all I can
guess is that more shipments out means more handling/material fees...more money
for Heritage.  Unless there is a reasonable explanation for the change I
haven't been made aware of.

But my most recent issues have come from me alerting Heritage that I want my
items shipped and them sending them in two different shipments.  I understand
that rolled are rolled and flat are flat but the old Heritage understood how to
put tubes in boxes and ship in one piece with ease.  This is important in
Canada as excise taxes are a reality as are brokerage fees and two packages
incur two charges at the USPS end as well...costs that can be drastically cut
by combining the items.  Then extra customs processing equals extra fees and,
again, I am spending more of my money on less posters.  And I ask that they be
shipped in one package and I am not consulted when they just ship it in two
rather than contact me and work out how to do it, as I'd wish.

On top of all that complaining (I am super cheap when it comes to costs OUTSIDE
of the paper I want) I do want to point out that Heritage is by far the most
expensive of the four main auctions that I regularly follow.  They charge both
handling fees and fees for materials and they are not cheap.  I complain and I
always hope that a sympathetic Heritage employee will just up and confess that
they are what I assume they are...a greedy corporation trying to roughly yank
every cent from my wallet in any and every way that they can...but nobody
answering my emails has offered that as an explanation so they just kinda quote
figures and such and remain kinda vague as to why my directions are ignored and
I have to pay for it.

Rich, Bruce and Peter all hold items for me for reasonable times and/or
amounts.  I am eternally grateful for this (and for Heritage's efforts in this
too!) as it makes a really big difference now that International shipping is
almost ridiculous.  Bruce charges very little for materials and no handling
that I know of.  I don't detect any excessive charges from Rich either and
Peter is just completely remarkable...give lots of business too all these
people and maybe if enough people complain, we can bring these other, more
serious capitalists around to helping the guys who help them exist to keep
supporting them.

Thanks,