J-A,

On Jul 22, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Jan-Anders Andersson wrote:

> Hi Marsha
>
> Before you dive into the deep. Have you ever read this? It's an excerpt from
> a letter written by RMP to Anthony McWatt, March 23, 1997:
>
> " ...
> The MOQ is in agreement with the Buddhist law of Dependent Origination and
> regards this law as an excellent explanation of how Dynamic Quality becomes
> static patterns of quality. The Buddhists however, say that the source of
> patterns is ignorance, whereas the MOQ says the source of the patterns is the
> "nothingness" of Dynamic Quality. It seems to me that this is
> self-contradictionary for the Buddhists to say that that the world is all
> nothingness and then in almost in the same breath say that everything we know
> arises from something that is not nothingness. This separates nothingness and
> not-nothingness into a deadly dualism. When it is said that the static
> patterns arise from Dynamic Quality the non-dualistic view of the world so
> characteristic of Buddhism is preserved.

> The MOQ says, as does Buddhism, that the best place on the wheel of karma is
> the hub and not the rim where one is thrown about by the gyration of everyday
> life. But the MOQ sees the wheel of karma as attached to a cart that is going
> somewhere - from quantum forces through inorganic forces and biological
> patterns and social patterns to the intellectual patterns that percieve the
> quantum forces. In the sixth century B.C. in India there was no evidence of
> this kind of evolutionary progress, and Buddhism, accordingly, does not pay
> attention to it. Today it's not possible to be so uninformed. The suffering
> which the Buddhists regard as only that which is to be escaped, is seen by
> the MOQ as merely the negative side of the progression toward Quality (or,
> just as accurately, the expansion of quality.) Without the suffering to
> propel it, the cart would not move forward at all.
> ..."

And?  That was 1996.  Published in 2005, in the Textbook,  Anthony writes that
the fundamental nature of the static is the Dynamic:  "Moreover, Nagarjuna
(1966, p.251) shares Pirsig’s perception that the indeterminate (or Dynamic) is
the fundamental nature of the conditioned (or static)"  -    Buddhist
"nothingness" is not nothingness like 'nothing there' it is "Emptiness", that
is empty of inherent existence.   A better understanding of Buddhism has been
emerging since 1996.   .

> I just would like to say that I think it is useless, of no value, no quality
> at all, to equate DQ and SQ.

And?  Try reading the Heart Sutra.  Maybe you might, at least, get a better
understanding.

> I remember when I was a kid, me and my brother playing a word game. We took
> one word, just any word, "overall" or "jumper" for example, and repeated it
> to each other again and again till the word totally lost its meaning and we
> cracked up like lunatics.

Now this bit is useless.

You may be interested in Buddhism or not, that is up to you.  I have every
right, though, to pursue the connections.

> Jan-Anders

Marsha

> 22 jul 2011 kl. 13.31 Marsha wrote:

>>> Dave
>>> I'm not making any apologies for Buddhism. And I'm surely not challenging
>>> the validity of exploring them together. How could I? The MoQ is Zen in a
>>> Pendleton blanket.  Most, not all, but most of the confusion in the MoQ is
>>> the confusion with and within Buddhism. The MoQ it is an attempt by a
>>> Westerner with a tiny amount of Eastern experience and smidgen of Zen
>>> experience to rewrite Zen in a way that is palatable to the Western mind. It
>>> seem to be working for you, but as you are aware you are in a minority here.
>>>
>>> As for me I'm not looking for a new religion. The old ones have such a
>>> dismal track record I just can't see making the same mistakes all over
>>> again.
>>>

>> Marsha:
>> Today there are, intelligent Buddhist scholars that present Buddhist
>> philosophical
>> ideas clearly and succinctly for Westerners.  I think it is more in keeping
>> with the
>> MoQ to learn something new than rehash the already known.  And meditation,
>> concentration and mindfulness techniques offer first-hand empirical
>> experiences
>> for validation, rather than just words.   It is a shame that I am a
>> minority.  It has been
>> said that the shift from a subject-object reality to a Quality reality takes
>> more than
>> intellectually understanding the words on a page. While there is a religious
>> aspect
>> to Buddhism, to become a Buddhist is not to accept a bundle of doctrines and
>> dogma on the basis of faith.  You are NOT suppose to accept claims based on
>> what the Buddha said, but are to examine the arguments and determine for
>> yourself if the arguments are true.  There is no place for psychological
>> bullies
>> within Buddhism.
>>
>> Buddhism does have cultural trappings to watch out for, but they are more
>> likely to be questioned by a Westerner.  And lets face it, the West comes
>> with
>> its own set of cultural glasses which often blindsight us to a new more
>> dynamic
>> perspective.  Science, for instance, may be more accepted dogma than fresh
>> investigation.  I am trying say that Buddhism is much, much more than a
>> religion.
>
> Moq_Discuss mailing list
> Listinfo, Unsubscribing etc.
> Archives: