Hi Platt
The Aharonov-Bohm Effect
In classical mechanics the motion of a charged particle is not affected by
the presence  of magnetic fields in regions from which the particle is
excluded. The motion of classical particles emitted by the source S is not
affected by the magnetic field B because the particles can not enter the
region of space where the magnetic field is present. For a quantum charged
particle there can be an observable phase shift in the interference pattern
recorded at the detector D. This phase shift results from the fact that
although the magnetic field is zero in the space accessible to the particle,
the associated vector potential is not. The phase shift depends on the flux
enclosed by the two alternative sets of paths a and b. But the overall
envelope of the diffraction pattern is not displaced indicating that no
classical magnetic force acts on the particles. The Aharonov-Bohm effect
demonstrates that the electromagnetic potentials, rather than the electric
and magnetic fields, are the fundamental quantities in quantum mechanics.

The Aharonov-Bohm Effect

"AB showed that one of the results of elementary quantum theory is that
there are physical effects on charged particles in regions in which the
electromagnetic field is nonexistant. The controversial features of the AB
effect concern its interpretation; there is no disagreement as to the effect
itself. The interpretation problem arises because the charge particles are
influenced although they always move in field free regions. Hence the key
question of the AB effect concerns localization and action-at-a-distance. AB
claimed a special significance for the electromagnetic potentials because
they are non-zero 'where the action is,' whereas the fields are zero in the
regions to which the charged particles are confined."

 I must have missed the great debate on this topic, because IMHO Bohm's work
(in several areas) is of direct relevance i will piece together something on
this and post it, it may take a bit of time. There are a few books that Bohm
has written that have what i can only describe as a physical description of
dynamic quality, if you have the time try Wholeness and the Implicate Order
, and also Thought as a System, anyone who reads them will see what I mean,
there are a few others here who have and do. Bohm's opinions on how science
is carried out and how the SOM is not neccessarily the best approach mirror
Pirsigs comments in Zamm, after Poincare and Sidis i would be surprised but
not shocked if RMP had not heard of the chaps work, they do take different
approaches but they are covering the same terrain and seeing the same
features,bye for now, Stephen