Platt,

> Hi Marco:
>
> But in the end, Pirsig was glad to get rid of Lila:
>
> "Across the cabin, on the pilot berth, Phaedrus saw that her suitcase
> was gone. There was a nice empty hole there. That was good. That
> meant he could get the trays of slips back out and have room to get to
> work on them again. That was good too. He remembered that
> PROGRAM slip he wrote to wait until Lila gets off the boat. He could
> cross that one off now." (Lila, Chap. 32).

yes, glad as one can be glad after the death of his wife.  I agree that it is good to
be free from social constrictions; but we must keep in mind that the
intellectual/individual level should be supported by the social level. My
interpretation of the episode is that also thanks to the social interaction with Lila,
P. has gained a newer awareness.  The sadness for the departure is natural (he talks
of a funeral), as well as the subsequent energy for the regained freedom.  But the
real value of the whole thing is that now P. has new answers about Quality:  Does Lila
have Quality? No, the Quality has Lila.  Would it be possible to reach for these
answers from a complete (very objective) loneliness?

> By the way, humanitarians dedicated to eliminate suffering should note
> the following passage:
>
> "If you eliminate suffering from this world you eliminate life. There's no
> evolution. Those species that don't suffer don't survive. Suffering is the
> negative face of Quality that drives the whole process." (Lila, Chap. 29)

Suffering is the negative face of Quality. Humanitarians are not there simply to
"eliminate suffering" . Perhaps in many cases they are not up to the task, but this is
just their intention: to be part of the "whole process" of  "evolution" from a
negative Quality to a positive Quality.   On the other hand, stating something like
"their suffering is natural, and justifies my welfare" should sound terrific to my
hears.

Marco