Hi Dan:

Thanks for your comments on how different people interpret the MOQ
differently. Here's a case in point. You wrote:

DAN:
Robert Pirsig is an author and Phaedrus is a fictional character in his
books. They are not the same.

I wonder how many others agree with you. I've always assumed
Phaedrus and Pirsig where one and the same person. As evidence,
here are a couple of passages from Lila:

PIRSIG:
"But six years later, after publication of a successful book, most of
these problems had disappeared. When the question arose of what
would be the subject of a second book there was no question about
what it would be. Phaedrus loaded his old Ford pickup truck with a
camper and headed back to into Montana again, to the easter plains
where the reservations were."

"And Phaedrus knew something about values. Before he had gone up
into the mountains and written a whole book on values."

"Phaedrus thought it portended very well for his Metaphysics of Quality
that both mysticism and science reject metaphysics for completely
different reasons."

"The central reality of mysticism, the reality that Phaedrus had called
'Quality' in his first book, is not a metaphysical chess piece."

"What made all this so formidable to Phaedrus was that he himself
had insisted in his book that Quality cannot be defined."

Well, I could go on, but I think you can see how I get the idea that Pirsig
and Phaedrus are two names for the same nonfictional individual.

I wonder what you see that I don't? Do our respective "glasses" distort
the common meaning of words so much?

Platt