Does anyone know how Lucy Calkins views her mini lesson as comparedto the
traditional formal lesson plan format? For those of you who have probably more
knowledge than I do of the Reading and Writing Workshop approach, I am trying
to teach a mini lesson format by comparing/contrasting this format to my
students' (who are teachers) prior knowledge of the traditional lesson plan
format. First, I introduce my students to the Reading/Writing Workshop Schedule
and then I align the Mini Lesson Components and the Writing and Sharing
components of the Workshop to the Traditional Lesson Plan components. Could
anyone suggest other likenesses or differences to add to my comparing the two
approaches.  For example, I think that some of the verbiage used for the mini
lesson (i.e. teacher dialogue and student response) is very similar and can be
applied to the traditional lesson plan. My goal is to help my students who
teach in school where the curriculum is dictated and even scripted to ease into
 the reading/writing workshop approach. The differences between these two
approaches are selling points for me! However, I am trying to sell mini lessons
by beginning by highlighting the similarities of both plans because some
teachers do not like change. Despite the lengthof the lessons, both formats are
basically "gradual release of responsibility". For example, don't you think
that the "connection" part of the mini lesson is very similar to the
"anticipatory set" of a traditional lesson plan, only better....etc? I know I
am trying to sell two different approaches BUT I am trying to sell the workshop
approach by first pointing out the similarities and then the differences as
improvements...or else I will lose my audience the minute I say anything
against the traditional lesson plan format. From, Mena

HERE IS THE WORKSHOPMINI LESSON ALIGNED TO THE TRADITIONAL LESSONPLAN

Part One of Reading Writing Workshop: MINILESSON

a.      MiniLesson Connection /TRADITIONAL PART 1: LessonInitiating Activity
b.     MiniLesson Teaching /TRADITIONAL PART 2: Teaching the Lesson:
Direct(Modeled) Instruction
c.      Mini Lesson ActiveEngagement/ TRADITIONAL PART 3: Teaching the
Lesson:Guided Practice Procedures  ..
d.     Mini Lesson Link…Urgewriters to write so readers can understand
them…(i.e. As you go off today andfor the next few weeks…
Part Two of Reading Writing Workshop Mini Lesson:WRITING and CONFERENCING/
TRADITIONAL PART 4:Teaching the Lesson: Independent Practice
Part Three of Reading Writing Workshop MiniLesson: SHARING/TRADITIONAL/ PART 5:
Closure:  Ending the Lesson (Student Reflection)(tell children about a writer
who did something to make his/herwriting more readable during the writing
time….i.e. rereading)

From, Mena