Jonas Jørgensen wrote:

> Peemm wrote:
>
>> Sorry, Jonas, but I have skimmed through all the postings, and even
>> though I no longer believe in Phillip M. Jones' chivalry, I must say
>> that he understands something you and your friend DeMoN LaG don't.
>> Pornography is nothing you get "turned on by". Porn is a substitute
>> for real life. You might as well use heroine. And the producers of
>> porn don't care about your pleasure; they want to get money - YOUR
>> money! This is the offensive part. You are dealing with a kind of
>> robber here - not just a spammer.
>

> You are missing my point. I wasn't debating whether porn is a good thing
> or a bad thing, I was saying that I don't believe that anyone should be
> allowed to tell someone else what they are to think about porn. If
> person A likes porn and person B doesn't, I don't see why person B
> should be allowed to prevent person A from viewing porn, nor do I see
> why person A should be allowed to force person B to view porn.
>
> Generally, I don't like the idea of some people telling others what they
> should think or do -- I consider it oppressive. We should all be free to
> think what we want, and we should all be equal so that noone gets to
> control other people. I really don't understand what it is that makes
> some people, such as yourself, be against things such as freedom and
> equality.
>
> Regarding heroin: There are thousands of people who's lives have been
> completely ruined because of heroin. You can objectively say that
> heroine destroys people. Only subjectively can you say the same about
> pornography.
>
> /Jonas

I agree with you on the last point, but I WAS saying it subjectively,
and I have no inclination to write a thesis to defend the comparison
between heroine and porn.

It might be that I missed your point; I merely skimmed through the
postings in this long thread, and probably I didn't get all the nuances.
Nevertheless I've got the impression that you have a very positive view
on porn, and that you were unfairly mocking Philip M. Jones for having
(amongst other things) a very positive view... on women(!) He may be a
little patronizing in his views, but I think it's more sympathetic to
hold such an attitude, than your each-and-every-one-for-him-or-her-self
outlook on the world. Because your view on freedom and equality implies
only contractual relations between people, i.e. you make agreements in
order to structure life. Exactly as in a porn movie all rules should be
set from the beginning; you do your fucking and you get your money, and
there is no room for the unexpected. And all porn movies look the same,
and as a spectator you know what is going to happen - no surprises. Does
it turn you on? Is it an expression of freedom? You've got it all mixed
up, I'm afraid. I am not against freedom or equality. From where did you
get that idea?

/P.M.