>> Now this one is a bit harder to quantify due to the fact that it's an
>> integral part of browser.xpi
>

> Gee, an integral part of the software... Gee, where have we heard this
> before (think MS and MS Explorer). Seems that Mozilla does what MS
> does and makes sure they bundle their bloatware so you can't remove it.

I tend to agree with Bundy. After all, Moz was designed to
be modular. It should have been possible to design Mozilla
so that composer would be in a different module.

>> Now, personally, I wish mozilla had taken the path of building a
>> kickarse browser and then built the rest.
>

> Amen. Four years and still nothing to brag about. Four years ago,
> windows 95 was the leading OS. That is what OPera is doing, building a
> great browser first, then getting the email and usenet part corrected.

I disagree. If they had built a browser based on existing
technologies then, the result would be separate programs
for each platform. They'll have a finished browser, but
nothing much to brag about.

So Mozilla.org started by creating a new technology
which is now called xpcom that allows you to write
apps in any platform, and then built Mozilla on /that/.

Being able to create a new platform that runs on top
of all existing platforms is something to brag about,
because it will have a direct effect on how apps will
be written in the future.

Imagine having a word processor, graphics tool, even
an entire OS written in xpcom. They are now possible.
Mozilla has become an example of what can be done
in xpcom.

> It's been four years and all they have done is lost nearly all it's
> marketshare. When Moz started 4 years ago, NS and MS were neck and
> neck in the browser market. While MS kept on putting out newer
> versions, NS had 4.x in 98,99,2000,2001 and dropping market share
> while working on Open Source Moz.. The 6.x was such a horrible
> release, it doomed NS.

Netscape 6 *is* horrible. They should have called it Netscape 6
Preview instead of Final.

The upcoming Mozilla 1.0 should also be called a Preview Release'first
to avoid any possible embarrasment.

> You know what I would like to see. All the Netscape Champions resign
> and non-AOL employed Mozilla work to put out an a end user Mozilla
> product.
>
> What do these people owe AOL/Time Warner anyhow? Allow NS to slip to
> just a few percent of the browser market?
>
> I'm sorry but since Netscape is owned by mega-giant, AOl, they are not
> an underdog at all.

Mozilla.org is open source, so anyone who wants to contribute
can join. Even Netscape employees.