David said

"Sadly, it's a chicken-and-egg thing...density boosts transit, but without transit people can believe in, they can legitimately, IMHO, oppose that density that may, someday, cause transit to flourish.

I think we need to control car use somehow — with carrots, not sticks, hopefully — BEFORE we can ask neighbors to accept denser projects in areas that, despite the presence of Uptown businesses, are still quite residential. "

Nick Responds:

My understanding is that the city would approve a 10 story project with the same density and that the density of the proposal is well within the zoning code. Consequently your concern about the timing of density is a mute point and would not be addressed in either case. The height is apparently the issue and I agree 10 or 13.. what's the difference? That is why I am completely baffled by the decision. If we are getting the same intensity of use in either case why run the risk of undermining a development to preserve a surface parking lot? I can't understand how tall buildings are inherently so bad for neighborhoods in some peoples minds.

Nick Frank
Elliot Park