Bob Spaulding wrote:

Why should many among us put up with the gut-level emotional disgust of losing friends and neighbors to cancer without helping head off the larger pressures?

Your gut level reaction to friends dying of cancer is disgust? Not pain cause they died? What if a friend dies of MS? Or stroke? What's your gut level reaction then? How bout a car accident?

Why should employers put up with lost productivity caused by unnecessary disease? Why should we all pay more for medical insurance because of smoking-related problems? Why shouldn't we all have an expectation of carcinogen-free public spaces?

Everyone dies of something. We cannot legislate disease away. We can pretend that somehow if smoking were banned nation-wide, there would be fewer deaths to disease. I doubt that could ever be true. What if, genetically, we are prone to this or that disease?. So friend doesn't die of smoking related disease, but some other cancer because friend has a marker that predisposes toward cancer.

Am I really the person being selfish? Maybe, but self-righteous sticks out a mile in this post.

WizardMarks, Central

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A Civil City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy