We are all the same voices saying the same things over and again believing
somehow our positions will be contagious to our opposition.

Smoking is dangerous to others as well as ourselves.

So what? Don't tell me what I can do or not do.

But what you do is affecting me and others.

So what? It's your choice to be in this cloud.

No. You're saying I have to tolerate this in a public place because you want
"freedom."

So what? It's a private place and the owner can allow whatever he/she wants.

No. The health of his/her employees and customers who don't smoke is as much
the owner's responsibility as the right to do business, and more important
than the desire to allow smoking.

So what? It's all a matter of choice and you should all butt out.Smoking
bans are destroying legitimate business.

No. You choose to do business with the public you have a responsibility for
protecting that public when they enter your place of business‹just as much
as the safety of the food and the storage and the surfaces subject to
contamination. Besides, all evidence points to just the opposite ‹
businesses are not closing because of the bans; they're thriving, except for
those that are mismanaged in other ways, probably relying too much on
alcohol to offset lousy money-handling.

So what? The state, the government has no business telling bar owners and
smokers how to run their lives.
----
Full circle. Same stuff over and over. From all the same people, including
yours truly. It will ever be thus.

Fortunately, smoking ban opponents are whistling in the shower. The 80% of
non-smokers who prefer clean air will prevail ‹ by law and by preference.
The bar-owners and libertarians will conform or shut down. Better for all.

Happy to close out my contributions.

Andy Driscoll
Saint Paul