From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dan McGrath
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 12:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Minneapolis Issues
Subject: Re: [Mpls] Study: Metro Smoking Bans Haven't Hurt Sales

> By the way, the folks I know going to Molly Quinn's when the ambience
changed
> from an an old pub with outdoor beer garden to a poorly-disguised
> Embers surrounded by surface parking.
>
> Not that it wasn't worth ever going to in its latest incarnation, but
think
> there's some pretty good reasons beyond smoking why they went under.

Nonsense. I know Matthew Lamphear, the *former* co-owner of Molly
Quinn's.
Business was good, and on the rise before the ban. The new location was
taking off. Then the ban hit, and sales plummeted. Instantly. Matthew
believed all the crap about how the non-smokers would start coming out
to make up the loss, so he tried to hold on, and keep his people
employed, by financing payroll on credit cards. He held a fund-raiser to
build a nice outdoor patio to try to gain back some lost business.
Ultimately, the non-smokers didn't make up the loss, and Matthew is
likely going to lose his house as well as his business.

Thanks, do-gooders. You screwed over a really nice guy with a heart of
gold who was trying to do good for the neighborhood. I really liked that
place.
The only Irish pub in the neighborhood... And over half of it was
non-smoking seating.

Dan McGrath
Longfellow
http://www.smokeoutgary.org
http://www.subversivepictures.com

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at
http://www.e-democracy.org/rules. If you think a member is in violation,
contact the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the
list.

For state and national discussions see:
http://e-democracy.org/discuss.html

E-Democracy Post messages to: mailto:mpls@mnforum.org Subscribe,