On 2017-08-17 13:54, Martin Schreiber wrote:
So the "guidelines for Unix-type systems" are not appropriate for Free Pascal
C-library binding units IMHO.

Indeed a valid problem, and something I have thought about myself. The problem being the linker doesn't support versioned library names, so how is FPC supposed to work around a Unix-type limitation?

I fully agree the problem is not ideal, but the only possible solution for Pascal header translation units, is to have different units for different library versions. Think of the Qt header translations for Object Pascal. It's a pain, but the pain we as Object Pascal developers have no live with when talking to libraries that are written in C/C++.

Would you mind if I forward your reply to the FPC mailing list to see what they think or recommend about such a situation?

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/