On Thursday 17 August 2017 15:25:29 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-08-17 13:54, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > So the "guidelines for Unix-type systems" are not appropriate for Free
> > Pascal C-library binding units IMHO.
>
> Indeed a valid problem, and something I have thought about myself. The
> problem being the linker doesn't support versioned library names, so how
> is FPC supposed to work around a Unix-type limitation?
>
> I fully agree the problem is not ideal, but the only possible solution
> for Pascal header translation units, is to have different units for
> different library versions. Think of the Qt header translations for
> Object Pascal. It's a pain, but the pain we as Object Pascal developers
> have no live with when talking to libraries that are written in C/C++.

Graeme, do you still have a working Kylix environment? If yes, can you test if
Kylix rempves the *.so part of library names? I guess not, because in mselibc
I have
"
{$ifdef FPC}
 clib = 'c';
 threadslib = 'pthread';
{$else}
 clib = 'libc.so.6';
 threadslib = 'libpthread.so.0';
{$endif}
"
which stems from times where MSEgui was Kylix compatible.
Probably the only argument Free Pascal people will accept. ;-)