On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Sander Zuidema wrote:

> > As an example, in Brazil we didn't have any representatives of any
> > japanese gamehouses. So we had no choice other than copying.
> This is a chicken-or-the-egg discussion we had many times.

We had so many discussions that I can't remember anyone!

> Are there no games because of the copying or is there copying because
> there are no games? I think at least a little of both.

That's a possibility, it's true that even with representatives in Brazil
the piracy wouldn't stop, but the absence of such gamehouses were an extra
stimulus for piracing!

> Brazilian MSX users could have united and contact Japanese software
> houses, so they would release software in Brazil.

In that time it would be extremely expensive, and the brazilian users
weren't united.

> But just remember for the future
> COPY - BAD
> BUYING - GOOD
> ;)

Ok, you are right. But if we have no software the hardware wouldn't
survive!

In such situations I tend to agree with copy-protection techniques, even
if we have some loss of compatibility, just because with it the time to
piracy-beginning is larger.

Greetings from Brazil!