On Sep 24, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Patriek Lesparre wrote:

Eric Boon wrote:
I really don't see the harm in someone suggesting that two other someones, who share an interest, contact each other in order see if they can combine their efforts.

That's not what happened here...

It is. Really. Or if you want to be *really* nitpicky, the suggestion was that one of the two contacts the otherone instead of both contacting each other.

First of all it's not an isolated incident. It's always the same people doing the 'suggestions'

That's because the MSX community is a relativey small group and some people are more outspoken than others. Just like it's always the same people who start the same rants over and over again.

Second, this is a hobby, and people like to (re)invent their OWN wheels.

True, nothing wrong with that and I'm in no way saying that people shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Expecting someone to give up the part that makes it fun

Please point me to the part in Manuel's mail in which he expects Akop to give up his idea. Show me the 'cease and desist' clause.

In a software project, nobody typically suggests an author for say a new music editor, to contact another editor's author in order to 'synergise' their ideas. This is why we have multitude of music editors on MSX, which is a good thing.

Most of the MSX musiceditors were written in the '90s when the community was a lot bigger and the possibilities of co-operation a lot less. But even back then people who had similar ideas teamed up to form software- or demogroups.

Grz,
        Eric