On 9. 8. 2017 14:59, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
I must admit that I don't know the difference between a cygwin-y symlink and a
NTFS native symlinks. And I just presume that MS implementation of symlinks is
a superset of NTFS native symlinks.

Microsoft's symlinks *are* NTFS native symlinks.

The URL that you give is interesting in this that it explains that MS symlinks
can be created by non-administrators provided that they are given some
corresponding priviledge.

Correct.  The privilege requirement IIRC can also be removed as of some version
of Windows 10.

to my knowledge SVN MSW clients can't be configured to follow symlinks at the
moment (sigh) whatever the user priviledges

As you mentioned via the link to MSDN, "MSW" programs don't care too much about
symlinks.  Following the should just work.  Of course, that's with NTFS symlinks, not
Cygwin-y ones.