Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I've never really understood the difference between using 'subscribe'
> and 'lists' to specify a mailing list. I've just looked in the manual
> and it does seems to have anything enlightening in it so, could
> someone perhaps clarify it for me?

i was confused about this for a while too (the whole mailing list thing
took quite a while to make sense to me - i don't think it's explained
that clearly in the manual).

but being 'subscribed' to a list means that you are on the list, so a
'Mail-Followup-To' will be set to the list's address.

OTOH if you're not 'subscribed' to any of the lists you're posting to,
but you 'know' them (ie they're defined as 'lists'), the
'Mail-Followup-To' header will get set to your address and the lists.

this is generally irrelevant since most peoples' mail clients down
follow this header (and most people don't read it either), but in the
best of all possible worlds this would be useful.

note that subscribing to a list also makes it a 'known' list, but
recognizing a list doesn't make one subscribed to it.

you should usually do one or the other, but not both.

--
Experience -- a great teacher, but the tutition fees...