Alas! David T-G spake thus:
> % On a related note -- is mutt's regular expression code similar enough
> % to something else that I can find or generate a standalone tool to test
> % patterns without making up false mail messages? Would using the GNU
> % regex package be equivalent, or are there significant changes to mutt's
> % branch?
>
> I'd love the answer to this, too, for the same bogus-messages reason as
> well as not having to whip up a special muttrc and then find a folder
> with a message to match...

I'm pretty sure I once saw somebody on this list asking for help with
his regex's, mutt was saying there was an error but wouldn't say where.
Then somebody else had tried to use the exact regex in either perl or
sed (I forget), and that program said with greater clarity where the
error in the regex was.

So try fooling with some sed regex's to get a working match, then use
that in mutt.

I just had an idea, though -- David, what are all the email addresses
you are working with here? If the ones you want all start with a certain
group of letters, and the ones you don't want all start with a certain
group of letters, you could do this:

^[letters].*@justpick

For example, your wife's email starts with l. Lets say for the sake of
argument that your daughter's emails start with b and j. Lets also say
that the email addresses you want in your $alternates are davidtg, root,
admin, and foobar. You could use this:

^[darf].*@justpick

Then you'd have something that matches your addresses and not your wife
and kids addresses ;)

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
[EMAIL PROTECTED]