On 19:00 06 Apr 2002, David T-G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| % I just had an idea, though -- David, what are all the email addresses
| % you are working with here? If the ones you want all start with a certain
|
|   [zero] [6:54pm] ~>  grep altern .mutt/muttrcc
|   set
|alternates="(^davidtg(pager|work|-.*|)|^dtg-bid|^choice(|(|-)consulting)|^c-cubed|^clasco(|(|-)properties)|^my_login)@((cyber(dude|junkie)|iname|poboxes|audiophile|bigfoot).com|sector13.org)|^david@(bae.uga.edu|coronaps.com)|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|justpickone"

Ouch.

I must admit I don't bother with my more obsolete or just-weird addresses,
and just have:

    set alternates =
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

On the other hand, this has a much wider range:

        % cd ~/rc/mail
        % grep Personal cats*
        cats.cisra:!attn   Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        simpson
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        camerons
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        cameronsimpson
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        cameron
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        cameron-depgp
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        depgp-cameron
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        cs
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        Cameron.Simpson
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.cisra:!attn        Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cats.home:!attn Personal        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That's from my cats2procmailrc rulesets.

I just get almost all my email reference via the 4 addresses listed in my
alternates, so these others are way down in the noise.

Since I generally always to a group reply and and always eyeball the reply
list so generated, manually trimming at need, this works well for me.

| % For example, your wife's email starts with l. Lets say for the sake of
| % argument that your daughter's emails start with b and j. Lets also say
|
| Actually, we have to worry about l,m,q,h,r (including the pets), and that
| certainly means that root will have a problem.

I don't consider "root" to be "me", myself.  Especially at work, root
and postmaster go to a few of us, so I _don't_ trim it because I want
replies to such messages to copy to the rest of the group so we all know
which messages got replies and which are still pending. Or could I have
to live with getting my own email then, but that's not too bad.

| % that the email addresses you want in your $alternates are davidtg, root,
| % admin, and foobar. You could use this:
| %
| % ^[darf].*@justpick
|
| Yeah, that's not too bad.

I feel that for aesthetics' sake you should make yourself and alias called
"waldo" or something. Couldn't resist.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

My computer always does exactly what I tell it to do but sometimes I have
trouble finding out what it was that I told it to do.
        - Dick Wexelblat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>